Upcoming Conference
5 May - 6 May 2014

Performance Management

My Events
View and edit your current events.
Add Event

Click the "add event" button to create a listing for your event

Advertise Here

Topic: Company culture - to change or not to change?

Messages (2) Visitors (1001)

gautamgouthi
Member since 09/03/2010
Company culture - to change or not to change?
10/20/2010 / 1:59 am    #1

“Company cultures are like country cultures. Never try to change one. Try, instead, to work with what you've got.” - Peter Drucker

Will value thoughts/perspectives on this...personally, I think Singapore is an example where country culture may have been changed.

Modification count : 1
TopForward

gailseverini
Member since 02/24/2009
Re: Company culture - to change or not to change?
10/20/2010 / 7:19 pm    #2

Well, Drucker is usually right - and I would say he is right here ... when you've got an appropriate culture. This is not always the case tho. I highly doubt Drucker would recommend maintaining a culture that no longer is constructive and productive.

We often face this in the implementation of change through projects where an organization, usually a leader in their industry, wants to re-position in the market, launch a new product, change a process, introduce an innovation or efficiency. The challenge becomes "if it ain't broke don't fix it" ... add to that silos that refuse to work together, leaders who focus on compliance instead of commitment, etc etc and you have a recipe for disaster.

My 2cents FWIW - if your company must evolve to remain competitive, you have no choice but to consider your company culture - it will either work for you or against you. A common saw comes to mind "culture eats change for breakfast". We issued a white paper on the role of change management in innovation in Sept that might interest your readers - we discuss the role of culture in the change - it is here

Great question. Interested to see what others think.

Gail Severini
Symphini Change Management Inc.
www.symphini.com

TopForward

Sitemap   |   Advertise With Us