Upcoming Conference
25 August - 26 August 2014

Online Staffing and Sourcing

My Events
View and edit your current events.
Add Event

Click the "add event" button to create a listing for your event

Advertise Here

Topic: When to hold the line on time off...

Messages (1) Visitors (1008)

forest.peterson
Member since 12/19/2011
When to hold the line on time off...
12/19/2011 / 2:10 pm    #1

Here is the situation. One of my team members asked to take a Wednesday off for her daughter's fifth birthday. It is not a large birthday party just the birthday. She asked seven weeks ago and has been bothering me about it ever since. She is a good employee but does not always seem to 'get' the manager/employee context. One of the other team members asked for time off last week and I gave it to her without thinking about this birthday request. The backup team member does not want to fill the day since it is close to a holiday and she is not scheduled. Did I do the right thing to hold the line? It is just too difficult to accommodate her request. I could cover for her but it would be the best day for me to take care of personal things before christmas. Now she wants to know "what is the appropriate amount of time to ask for a single day off, since seven weeks is not enough?", how do I explain to her this is not an appropriate response to your superior? I searched for advice and found a wall street journal article that discusses the importance to take time for your kids birthdays, but it was for executives and does not apply to hourlies.

Modification count : 5
TopForward

Sitemap   |   Advertise With Us