(New Port Richey, FL) November 19, 2012 – In a recent report regarding Amtrak, the nation's largest passenger rail carrier, Amtrak's employees failed drug and alcohol tests at a staggering 51% higher rate than the rail industry average, CNN stated. Novus Medical Detox
)believes that the key to helping maintain a safe and productive workplace or company is knowing which measures to take when employees are found to be under the influence.
Because of federal laws, employees in safety-sensitive positions are subject to closer federal regulatory scrutiny when it comes to testing. CNN’s article states that an inspector general's report suggests that Amtrak officials have turned something of a blind eye toward enforcing its own policies for testing employees and complying with regulations (1).
Amtrak may not be the only company dealing with drug and alcohol problems. According to the American Council for Drug Education, the statistics are alarming (2):
● More than 70 percent of substance abusers hold jobs; one worker in four, aged 18 to 34, used drugs in the past year; and one worker in three knows of drug sales in the workplace.
● In the workplace, the problems of these substance abusers become your problems. They increase risk of accident, lower productivity, raise insurance costs, and reduce profits.
● Compared to non-abusing coworkers, abusers are 10 times more likely to miss work, five times more likely to file a worker’s compensation claim, and 33% less productive.
Employees who may be addicted to drugs or alcohol need to get help prior to the dangerous withdrawal process and/or loss of job and company destruction. If they get caught using, they may try to stop on their own—which can be extremely dangerous and life-threatening.
Novus Medical Detox has more than a 90% completion rate of people who start their medical detox
) at the facility. Unlike many other detox facilities, Novus pays particular attention to strengthening the patients’ bodies through a proprietary I.V. vitamin mix that is tailored to make the detox process as painless as possible. The vitamin cocktail is an advanced medical finding that allows Novus to handle the toughest of drug and alcohol cases.
While “getting clean” is the primary goal, patients say they experience newfound respect and care for their total health, making them physically, emotionally and mentally stronger. They are then more capable of completing successful rehab programs, returning home and getting back to normal lives.
“Employees who get away with abusing drugs or alcohol while working will continue to do so until something terrible happens,” comments Kirk Burness, Director of Novus Medical Detox. “We help patients avoid that by getting them clean and back to work, drug-free.”
While “cold turkey” withdrawals have a success rate of less than 5%, Novus’ detoxification programs have a high success rate, as their medical team is trained on how to keep patients from getting sick during the withdrawal process, leading to most completing detox in less than 2 weeks. Once patients have completed a detox program
) and gotten the drugs out of their system, they can then move on to rehab and support programs, if warranted. Novus helps patients take that first step toward reclaiming their lives from drugs, and provides the nurturing, supportive environment they need in order to do so.
● Each patient is treated individually using a combination of natural supplements, nutritious meals and extensive use of nutrient-enriched I.V. treatments.
● Patients have 24/7 access to nursing care and withdrawal specialist assistance.
● Patients are given instructions on how to continue with supplements and are helped to select an after-care program.
About Novus Medical Detox Center
The Novus Medical Detox Center offers safe, effective alcohol and drug treatment programs
)in a home-like residential setting. Located on 3.25 tree-lined acres in New Port Richey, Fla., Novus is licensed by the Florida Department of Children and Families as an in-patient medical detox facility. Novus is known for minimizing the discomfort of withdrawal from prescription medication, drugs and alcohol by creating a customized detox program
) for each patient, incorporating medication, natural supplements and fluid replenishment—putting dignity and humanity back into drug detoxification. Patients have 24/7 medical supervision, including round-the-clock nursing care and access to a withdrawal specialist, and enjoy comfortable private or shared rooms with a telephone, television, DVD player and high-speed Internet access. For more information on Novus Medical Detox Center, visit www.NovusDetox.com
(1) Sperry, Todd. October 1, 2012. CNN.com. “Report: Amtrak employees failing drug, alcohol tests at alarming rate,” http://www.cnn.com/2012/09/28/travel/amtrak-drug-alcohol-tests/index.html