COLUMBUS, Ga., Oct. 9, 2012 /PRNewswire via COMTEX/ --Aflac, the No. 1 provider of voluntary and guaranteed-renewable insurance in the United States, today announced the launch of Aflac Vision Now®. The new individual vision insurance plan will offer enhanced benefits with increased benefit payments for regular eye examinations and vision correction procedures with no increase in premium.1
Vision impairment is a serious public health concern among adults, affecting more than 2.9 million people in the U.S.2 In fact, more than 150 million Americans use corrective eyewear to compensate for refractive errors, spending more than $15 billion each year on eyewear.3 Maintaining healthy vision goes beyond purchasing necessary eyewear. Approximately 800,000 refractive surgical procedures were performed in 20 alone in the U.S.,4 highlighting how critical it is to take preventative steps for eye health.
"Many consumers may not be giving eye health proper attention as a part of an overall health care regimen, a mistake that could prove costly," said John Harmeling, senior vice president of Worksite Marketing at Aflac. "While most vision care plans are limited to eye exams and vision correction materials, Aflac's Vision Now product offers true vision insurance, paying benefits for eye diseases or disorders, eye surgeries and even permanent visual impairment."
In response to customers' needs, Aflac recently increased the Eye Examination and Vision Correction Benefits. The Eye Examination Benefit now pays $45 for one eye examination per covered person, per policy year.5
Aflac Vision Now also offers coverage for serious eye conditions,5 including:
- Permanent Visual Impairment Benefit: $750-$10,000 for visual impairment.
- Eye Surgeries Benefit: $50-$1,500 for miscellaneous eye surgeries.
- Specific Eye Diseases and Disorders Benefit: $1,000 for specific eye diseases and disorders.
The Vision Correction Benefit has three different options that allow the individual to choose the plan to best suit his or her personal needs, including:5
- Option One:$80 for prescribed vision correction materials (such as prescription glasses or contacts) or $130 for refractive error corrections surgery (such as RK, LASIK, etc.). There is no waiting period, and the benefit is payable once per covered person, per policy year.
- Option Two:$175 for prescribed vision correction materials (such as prescription glasses or contacts) or $295 for refractive error corrections surgery (such as RK, LASIK, etc.). There is a 12-month waiting period, and the benefit is payable once per covered person during each successive 24-month period.
- Option Three:$270 for prescribed vision correction materials (such as prescription glasses or contacts) or $480 for refractive error corrections surgery (such as RK, LASIK, etc.). There is a 24-month waiting period, and the benefit is payable once per covered person during each successive 36-month period.
"As many employers are cost-shifting vision insurance premiums to employees or eliminating vision insurance offerings altogether, workers need to ensure their benefits package offers the financial protection they need," said Harmeling. "Vision Now helps support workers and employers, providing essential vision benefits without adding benefits costs to the employer."
Aflac Vision Now® coverage is underwritten by American Family Life Assurance Company of Columbus. In New York, coverage is underwritten by American Family Life Assurance Company of New York. Policies may not be available in all states, and benefits may vary by state and plan level selected.
For more information, visit aflac.com/business
. To join the conversation, follow @aflac on Twitter.
When a policyholder gets sick or hurt, Aflac pays cash benefits fast. For more than 55 years, Aflac insurance policies have given policyholders the opportunity to focus on recovery, not financial stress. In the United States, Aflac is the number one provider of guaranteed-renewable insurance. In Japan, Aflac is the number one life insurance company in terms of individual policies in force. Aflac individual and group insurance products provide protection to more than 50 million people worldwide. For six consecutive years, Aflac has been recognized by Ethisphere magazine as one of the World's Most Ethical Companies. In 2012, FORTUNE magazine recognized Aflac as one of the 100 Best Companies to Work For in America for the 14th consecutive year. Also, FORTUNE magazine included Aflac on its list of Most Admired Companies for the 11th time in 2012. Aflac Incorporated is a Fortune 500 company listed on the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol AFL. To find out more about Aflac, visit aflac.com or espanol.aflac.com.
Certain stipulations will apply. 2
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, "The State of Vision, Aging, and Public Health in America," U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, 2011, http://www.cdc.gov/visionhealth/pdf/vision_brief.pdf
, accessed on February 8, 2012. 3
Vision Problems in the U.S.: Prevalence of Adult Vision Impairment and Age-Related Eye Disease in America. Prevent Blindness America and the National Eye Institute, 2008. http://www.preventblindness.org/vpus/2008_update/VPUS_2008_update.pdf
Market Scope http://www.ophmanagement.com/printarticle.aspx?article=104645
May not be applicable for residents of AZ, AR, ID, PA, OK, OR, OK, NY, SD, TX, VI, and VA.