How to Use Facebook at Work Without Getting Fired
2.7 from 65 votes
- Currently 2.7/5 Stars.
Facebook is a part of life and has seeped into our very existence over the past few years. Social media is a foreign phenomenon to some, and people have been known to lose their jobs over Facebook use. To avoid this happening to you, here are 6 tips to bear in mind.
1. Avoid friending anyone at work. Don't friend your boss or co-workers.
2. Use the privacy features within Facebook and create lists for the different people you contact. For example, for family and close friends you could have one list, and for acquaintances you could have another list. This keeps unwanted visitors from viewing your private photos and other information.
3. However, remember that everything posted on Facebook is not private, including private messages.
4. Relating to the above pointer, avoid posting protected information that employers and potential employers can use against you in the hiring or promotions process; such as, date of birth, sex, religion, disability, pregnancy, race/color, and nation origin. Many employers use Facebook to conduct background checks and to make hiring decisions.
5. Read and understand your employer's social media policy.
6. Do not trust Facebook.